Pont Neuf and Ile de la Cite

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tuesday in Paris

I woke feeling great and ready to explore Paris!

First stop - rue de Rivoli to pick-up my Metro pass, that I didn't pick up on Sunday. Easy breezy, now I'm ready to move around Paris with ease. The plan for the day was to make my way through the 1e and 3e Arr.
 
My first photos were in the Place Vendome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_Vend%C3%B4me

The square was abuzz with activity, people going from one place to the next, tourists like me meandering around, and electricians adding all of the holiday lights to the statues. Even during the day, the lights made it very festive.
As I walked through the square I happened on a peaceful labor demonstration. I took a photo, but it's hard to see, as they were across the street. They were chanting, blowing horns and banging on drums, but peaceful nonetheless.
I decided I was hungry so I went in search of Au Pied de Cochon (The Pig's Foot) for their famous onion soup. It did not disappoint. I enjoyed a glass of Beaujolis Nouveau with it. I ended with a cafe au lait and profiteroles. Y-U-M! My current (and past) co-workers will appreciate this - the Manager was a Y.S. look alike and his French was impeccable. LOL That is one of his 12 languages.
While I enjoyed my lunch, I plotted my next move. The Fodor's Paris 2011 guidebook I bought for this trip mentioned an avenue of discounted shoes (from last season) near Republique - that's definitely my next stop. :-) Unfortunately, what I liked wasn't available in my size, but it was fun searching. It began to rain a bit harder, it's dark and chilly - on to my neck of the woods.
 
En route home, I decide to familarize myself with the shops at my disposal. I popped into the gourmet market, the boulangerie (bakery) and the produce market. Took photos of them all, they're so cute. 
Happy - The Florist

 The Gourmet Market
Nicolas - The Wine Shop :-)

Fresh Produce Market - I bought some yummy Clementine's

The Butcher

The Fish Monger

The Drug Store 
I totally forgot a photo of the most important of them all - the bakery! I'll be sure to snap a shot the tomorrow when I make my daily visit for fresh bread. When I arrived home I turned up the heat, the low at night is in the 30's burrrr - my thin San Diegan blood can't take it. I poured myself a glass of wine and snacked on brie and a baguette. The French have a lot of game shows at night - last night I watched their version of the Dating Game - too funny.

Well, that's how I spent Tuesday. I hope you're enjoying the blog as much as I am sharing it. I had some technical difficulties with the photos, which is why there was a delay with this post. It only gets better from here. I've got a lot of ground to cover on my itinerary. Stay tuned. Bien nuit.

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! The baguette, brie, and Beaujolais all sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the pictures, too! Sounds like you're having fun :)

    ReplyDelete